"The Launch event was the most inspiring CPD I have taken part in, certainly since becoming a teacher. I think my school was quite taken aback by how enthused and excited I was by the future following the event."
Craig Lilleyman, Rosetta Primary School
What is Getting Ahead London?
Getting Ahead London is a Challenge Partners programme funded by the Greater London Authority (GLA) that is now in its sixth year. The aim is to provide aspiring London teachers with the skills, experience, networks and knowledge to take the next step in their career or progress to senior leadership and headship
Please contact us if you are interested in running a version of this programme in your area.
The support offered as part of the programme includes:
Coaching from highly experienced London heads to help participants fulfil their leadership potential
Help to navigate existing leadership opportunities
Face to face leadership development and networking events with world-class businesses
Online tools and resources to support your development.
Support with applying for jobs and preparing for interviews.
Who is it for?
There are two GAL programmes, one for aspiring Senior Leaders and one for aspiring Headteachers.
If you would like to take part in the aspiring Senior Leader programme, you must meet the following eligibility criteria:
- You must be a current Middle Leader in a school in London. Examples of eligible roles are Year Group leader, Subject Leader, Inclusion Lead etc.
- You must have at least 2 years in this role.
If you would like to take part in the aspiring Headteacher programme you must meet the following eligibility criteria:
- You must be a current Senior Leader in a school in London. Examples of eligible roles are Assistant Head, Deputy Head, Head of School, Acting Head.
- You must have at least 2 years experience in this role.
What is the commitment?
For both programmes, you and your school will need to commit to:
- You attending 10 days/half days of events and coaching sessions throughout the academic year. (Travel across and within London will be expected for these coaching sessions and events)
- Paying a supplement of £500 towards the GLA funded programme
How do I participate in the programme?
Applications are closed for the 2020/21 academic year.
How do you measure impact?
During the pilot year, 2016-17, we commissioned an external evaluation of the programme. The full report is available here.
Please see our evaluation from the 2019/20 cohort here
Resources for Getting Ahead London participants
We have a reference bank of resources available to Getting Ahead London participants and alumni. Just register and log into the Challenge Partners' website and click here
Promoting the programme